Thursday, October 8, 2015

Blog Post #5: Rofes

I personally have never experienced homophobia or heterosexism where I attended school. Aurora is a very accepting community and the school district does a very good job at making the learning environment accepting and welcoming. At Aurora, in all the schools, there is zero tolerance for any type of bullying. I have never experienced or even seen bullying occur at my school, and I do not believe it is due to this policy. I genuinely think that all who go to Aurora are kind and genuine. I know that people in Aurora may not agree with the decisions others make, the morals others may have, or the philosophies others preach, but I have never seen a person bullied or picked on because of this. In Rofes' article, he depicts childhood in a way that many people would feel uncomfortable or upset. He says that children basically have no rights and are neglected. He also believes that a child should be allowed to play with whatever they desire, as well as participate in whatever activities they want. A radical distinction he addresses is that he believes as a child you are not "born" homosexual or heterosexual. He believes that this is a decision you make on whether or not to become so. Later on in my life, I hope to be teaching in a school similar to where I grew up, but that may be more focused on individual students needs. I also hope to teach in a district where everybody is accepting of everybody. There is always going to be judgement, but I hope to work somewhere where the judgement is not made obvious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment